Tuesday 5 July 2016

Flapjacks Made With Condensed Milk






I love flapjacks but sadly to date I have never actually managed to make a flapjack that didn't either stubbornly refuse to stick together or end up burnt and over crisp. That's why I was quite intrigued to learn that the word on the street (ok the internet) was that condensed milk was the secret ingredient for perfect flapjacks.

So as I had a spare hour today I thought I would try it and I was very impressed with the result. I slightly adapted the recipe as I only had quick cook oats but these actually worked really well and gave them a very soft consistency - imagine a yummy cake/biscuit hybrid!

They are quick and easy to make and went down very well with the kids as an afterschool snack. Also as they have oats in I have convinced myself that they are healthy too!

So here's my no-fail flapjack recipe;

Ingredients

150g butter
100g brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 can carnation condensed milk (or any other brand you can find)
275g quick cook oats



Method:

Turn your oven to approx 150 degrees centegrade

Begin by placing a saucepan over a low heat and gently melting the butter until it has all turned liquid.

Then add the sugar and gently stir it in as it starts to melt, add the golden syrup straight away and mix it all together until it is dissolved and blended.

Pour in the condensed milk and stir until blended again - it should be a lovely toffee colour now, let it simmer gently for around 40 seconds.

Finally take your gorgeously gooey mixture off the hob and stir in the oats until they are totally covered.

Press them down into a cake tin (You should grease this well but I recommend using non stick baking paper as it makes the flapjacks much easier to lift out)

Pop them in the oven and leave for around 10-15 minutes for a soft bake. You could leave them slightly longer if you prefer them crispier but keep a close eye on them as they cook quickly.

When they are ready take them out and let them cool down. Pop them in the fridge for about an hour and then cut into squares ready to eat

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment