Thursday 13 October 2016

Hertfordshire Apple Cake


You might have heard of Dorset Apple Cake well this is my take on it using some lovely Hertfordshire Apples we collected on a visit to Church Farm near Stevenage.

I love this cake because it's so simple, so tasty and as it has fruit in it I can convince myself it's one of my 5 a day too (and yes I know it's probably not!).




My children loved collecting the different types of apples from the orchards and I think that anything that gets them interested in the provenance of their food has got to be good. If you can get hold of some homegrown apples that's great but if not then of course supermarket ones are fine too.

This is a deliciously crumbly cake that can be served warm with custard or cold with a slice of tea - perfect for those chilly Autumn months!

Ingredients:

225g apples, peeled, cored and diced
225g self raising flour
115g butter
115g soft brown sugar
1 egg
4-6 tablespoons milk
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 nutmeg

Method:

Heat the oven to 180 degrees (160 for fan ovens)

Crumble together the butter, flour and spices until you have a crumb like consistency

Beat in the egg and slowly add the milk

Finally add in the apples and fold in

Place into your tin and bake for around 40-50 minutes

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment