Tuesday 9 October 2012

Slow Cooked Apples With Gingerbread Crumble



I've never cooked a desert in my slow cooker before but I really fancied trying it out so I decided to go with something easy like an apple crumble (who can go wrong with apple crumble!). However I wanted to give it a bit of a twist and I thought that instead of traditional crumble topping I would try covering it with crumbled gingerbread instead! This a really easy slow cooker recipe and a great choice for a warming Autumn desert.

The apple crumble part is a doddle really. Just peal and cut four large cooking apples and throw them into the slow cooker. I added a cup of brown sugar but depending on your taste you might want to go for half a cup more or less. I think some people like it extra sweet but some love a bit of bite to their apples. Mix the sugar into the apples making sure that they are fully coated. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon and half a teaspoon of nutmeg. Turn the slow cooker to high. Leave for 2 hours  - although I can't resist giving the occasional stir.

 
Whilst the apples are cooking you can make the gingerbread crumble. You can either use this recipe from Delia Smith or if you are a bit lazy like me you can buy some lovely ready made gingerbread dough which tastes good and is a lot less mess. Cook the gingerbread in the oven but make sure it is slightly under baked when you take it out as you want it to be soft. When it is ready and cooled down crumble it up with your fingers. Obviously  you could do this in advance and keep the crumbs in a Tupperware container to make things even easier.
 
 
 
Then take out your slow cooked apples which should be loved and soft and whilst they are warm sprinkle the gingerbread crumble over them. The flavour goes really nicely with the apples and complements the cinnamon and nutmeg.
 
I decided to do individual servings in mini le creuseut pots. Add cream or ice cream and enjoy.
 
* if you want to put the slow cooker on low then cook the apples for approx 4 hours.
 





1 comment:

  1. I haven't braved puddings yet either but I do have a surplus of apples at the moment and may give this one a try. Thanks for joining into Slow Cooker Sunday. :-)

    ReplyDelete